Saturday, July 27, 2013

Women and Men

I came across the website of a high end cycling clothing company (Rapha) that not only sells it very expensive line of shorts, jerseys and gloves but has many videos and cycling related writing. When I first saw the picture and the huge gear I thought it was just a mock up for the sake of a few laughs. When I read the story and watched the video all I could think was....cool!

I took my tablet into the kitchen to share with Sal. She looked at it briefly and then simply asked, "Why?"

And there lies a difference between women and men. Had I shown this to any guy whether or not they ever climb onto a bike, they would have at least shown a few moments of interest in the mechanics of the one off bike. I don't know why this young Englishman got this idea into his head and felt he had to try to build and ride a bike 100 mph, I only wish it had been me. I wish I could weld up a frame to satisfy a whim. As I guy I would just ask, "Why not?"

Long story short he managed to get to 80 mph behind his 50 year old car but ran out of runway and car. He rode on rollers and got to 100 mph. The story is not quite finished as he has a friend building a car for racing that will serve as his next lead out.

Check out the video here


No comments:

Post a Comment