Thursday, July 4, 2013

Banff, the Details

We left at 8:30 and after a small snarl in traffic made great time. Not that we were in a hurry, but I guess I was just to get there. The highway was clear and four lanes clipping along at 110 except the area around Canmore. Debris and logs were piled up and some new pavement had been laid down. The damage was at a point where a ravine crossed the highway but seemed to be at the top of a hill.

We entered the town of Banff to try and get a supper reservation but Grizzly House was closed so we left headed for Lake Louise. Initially I planned to just have a quick lunch and then go to the Ice Fields Parkway but we decided to go to the lake for a quick look. I dropped Sal at the head of the path from the parking lot and went to park the car. The temperature was about 29. I found a parking spot close by. In the shadows of the tall pines with their amazing scent we strolled down the path. There it was, that creamy blue-green against the dark green of the surrounding pines and dark blue of the mountains. There were plenty of people but nothing like the last time we were there. We walked around the shoreline amidst a dozen languages. Sal dipped her toes and was surprised that the water was not that cold. There were families actually swimming, something that seemed almost sacrilegious to me.

We left and climbed the 14 km of 75% grade to Moraine Lake, by far my favorite place on earth. There were cars parked along the side of the road at least a kilometer from the parking lot but I was sure my luck would hold. After the four cars in front of us passed, a set of backup lights came on and we had a good spot just a short walk from the lake. To me the color of the water in Moraine is more amazing, a deep sapphire blue that looks almost unnatural.  We walked along the shoreline in shade and a cool breeze which was a welcome break from the 32 degree day. Sal dipped her toes and this time the glacier fed water was as cold as expected. We returned and I climbed the steps to the top of the rock pile. The sun was in a bad spot for pictures but I snapped away.

It was too late for the Ice Fields Parkway so we tried the Bow Valley Parkway but it was closed so we drove back to Banff. We checked in at 4pm and took the elevator to our room. On entering there were three bad signs, an open window with southern exposure, a ceiling fan and a wave of heat. The room had no a.c., surprise surprise. I guess they rarely need it but it was 33. We cranked the fan to high and closed the curtains on the sun. I looked back to the website and sure enough no mention of a.c., I just assumed I guess. There was a.c. in the hallway, no idea how that makes sense.

We watched the pictures on the memory card through the tv and I was disappointed in the shots I had taken with the new dlsr. At least I have some decent pictures of Cullen.

We walked a couple of blocks to Grizzly House and got the last of eight outside tables, luck still holding. Ahhh. Shade and a cool breeze. First course was French onion soup for me and a house salad for Sal. I tried a Big Rock Black Amber ale, brewed right here in Calgary, a great dark ale. Next up a fondue with wine, garlic, bruyere cheese and bread. Our waiter scraped the bottom of the cheese pot for a nugget of crispy cheese that ended the course. Next up a hot rock grill on the table with beef, shrimp and scallops in garlic butter. Finally fruit with a Toblerone chocolate fondue. I was wearing a livestrong shirt and our waiter asked if I was a Lance fan, not anymore I told him. He asked if I was riding and then checked on what was open. First choice would have been the Bow Valley Parkway which wasn't an option so he said to try Lake Minnewanka.

We walked back to the hotel in a light rain that felt very good after a long hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment