Thursday, July 4, 2013

One Off the Bucket List

After having nothing but good luck all day Tuesday I almost expected thunder storms. I woke up at 5:30 but it was a bit dark. I could feel that it had cooled off over night. At 6:15 I couldn't wait any longer. I took another look out the window and dressed in my bib shorts and new Canada jersey. I decided against taking the camera and loaded my pockets with the bare essentials, phone, mini pump, glasses and change to buy a water. I had an extra tube but had forgot the tire irons, a flat today could mean a very long walk in cycling shoes. And then the pop machine was out of water. Had my luck changed over night too?

I took the elevator down to the parking garage, unlocked Bonnie and put on the rest of my gear. I was as nervous as I was before the first Conquer Cancer. So many unknowns. The waiter at Grizzly House had said something about more uphill than down because the loop to the lake was only open one way. Would I be able to climb the hills or would I be walking? Would there be traffic? Would the road be wide enough at this early hour? Would I flat and spend the morning slogging along in cycling shoes? Would I meet a bear?

Finally I just said "hell Ron it's just a bike ride, in Banff, relax and enjoy it".

I left the parking garage and out Banff Ave. towards the Trans Canada. I tried one gas station for water but it wasn't open. Nevermind, I wasn't thirsty anyway. It was cool and breezy, the mountains looked crisp with some clouds hanging at the peaks. Cascade Mountain which overlooks the town, filled my view. The road to Lake Minnewonka goes around the base so it grew until I couldn't see anything else. I could smell elk but never did see anything larger than a woodchuck. I rode the shoulder of the deserted road with a surface that was smoother than just about anything in Thunder Bay. Just before I crossed the highway I came to the first Texas gate designed to keep the wildlife off the road. Not thinking I crossed it doing about 20kmph. This was the only time I would ride across as I nearly got shaken from the saddle and Bonnie was rattled. When I stopped at the gate on the far side I saw why. They are made of tubes about 5 inches in diameter with 4 inch spaces between them. Enough room for a hoof to fall between which deters the wildlife. Enough room for a wheel to easily slide between and become a taco shaped recyclable and throw a clueless rider's ass over his red handle bars. I stopped and walked across the rest of these obstacles.

The road climbed slowly although I really didn't feel I was climbing. My legs felt a bit sluggish but slowly warmed up. I stopped and took a few pictures as the cool air and early morning sun made for some amazing views across the valley. About half way to the lake the grade got steeper and I geared down. Normally standing to climb is not an option as I tend to suffer calf cramps if I push too hard. Not today. I bounced up the last half, a little winded but feeling strong. The lunch time workouts paid off.

The road dropped now and as I coasted along at 40kmph the mountain air cooled my sweat, another sweet pay off. At the bottom of the hill a reduced speed limit of 30 had me thinking I had arrived. Instead I came to sheets of water flowing across the road. Another ten minutes and I was in the parking lot. There were only a couple of cars to be seen. I went to the lake, took a few pictures and then started back. As I passed the water again I had a strange sensation. It felt like I was going downhill but the water on the side of the road was flowing in the opposite direction. Banff is a special place but even here the water flows downhill. Very odd.

As I continued back to town I realized why my legs had felt a bit heavy. I didn't have to pedal much at all. The ride in had been mostly uphill and I guess I spent so much time soaking in the views and Bonnie is so easy to move that I didn't realize I was climbing. I got back to town and then decided to take the ride on Tunnel Mountain which I had planned to do before talking to the waiter the night before. A long climb started right away. I was able to ride this one quickly and was soon treated to some wide views high over the valley. The ride down was steep and long with Bonnie touching 54kmph with the brakes on just enough to stay in control. I just don't trust her or the road enough to let her go. I had read someone say they reached 90 going down this hill and found that hard to believe. I'm a believer now.

I had about 20km behind me and time for more so I just meandered around Banff Ave. for a while and then decided to take the short ride to Bow Falls. As I took the left the road dropped quickly in a half km spiral. The falls were more of a rapids in my book even with the river being as high as it is. I took a picture and clipped in dreading the steep climb out. I guess my legs were just warming up as I easily pedaled up. Another 20 minutes exploring around town and my time was up. I entered the underground parking lot, put Bonnie in the rack and took the elevator back to the room.

Sal was reading by the open window and asked how it was, "good" I answered. She was surprised. "Just good?"

Yes, just good. Great would be to go for a whole day. Fantastic would be to live here and ride amidst this beauty every day. Good will have to do, this time.

From the GPS tracking:
Date: July 3, 2013 6:40am
Total distance: 31.69km
Time: 1:40
Average Speed: 18.98kmph
Max speed: 54kmph
Max elevation: 4834 ft.
Min elevation: 4249 ft.
Elevation gain: 1248 ft.
Max grade: 10%
Min grade: -8%

posted from Bloggeroid








No comments:

Post a Comment