Saturday, June 29, 2013

End of Week One

Friday was the last day of work for Mike and Mel. They decided on a day home for Cullen in the fall, a place where they both had great first impressions and where Cullen seemed to feel at home right away. While they were at work, and in Mike's case I use the term work to describe where he was rather than what he was doing, we took Cullen to one of the nearby parks. He had fun climbing around the equipment, swinging and playing in the rocks.

I went for a ride as Cullen napped and wound up with a flat about 2 km from home. For some unknown reason I had brought my mini pump and was able to pump for 5 minutes in exchange for about 5 minutes of riding. The flat was on the front wheel so I sat way back and nursed Bonnie home, pulled the tube and found a straight puncture. I had it changed and ready to go in about 15 minutes and then did a bit of work on all the bikes. Mike and I did another ride after supper.

I have to say I could see myself living here. It's not just the cycling, the proximity of Banff, or the availability of so much more entertainment. It's the whole vibe of the city. It's a young city, a positive city. Civic ingenuity seems to have it's Canadian headquarters in Calgary. There are too many progressive ideas being employed here to write about. Rather than complain about the innovations the citizens take hold and get with the program. An example, every home has a city issued garbage bin and a recycling bin. Soon they will have a composting bin. And they use them.

Flood update. People affected here will have money from the province in hand by the end of next week. Alberta put aside one billion dollars last week. Those out of their homes have already receive prepaid debit cards with $1200/adult and $500/child. More significant funds can be applied for Tuesday and will be out by Friday. I'm not even going to comment on how Ontario handled the Thunder Bay flood. Wait, did they ever handle it?





posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment