Friday, June 7, 2013

People of the Path

I guess I must be tired because I know I'm grouchy, I should be wearing my SURLY hat today. It's really the brand name of my #1 bike but that's how I feel.

My day started at 6:10 with my alarm. I dragged myself out of bed, made a big breakfast, made 1/2 cup of coffee. The other half went into the base of the machine as the cup was still in the cupboard. I left at the usual time but my legs felt heavy. I got to Victoria and Balmoral and waited for a red light. And then another. And finally got a green after three opposing advanced greens. Bike friendly Thunder Bay my ass. On I went and the rest of the 10km was uneventful.

Work is work, never really thrilled to be there, and that's all I'm saying right now on that subject.

At lunch I take a 15km ride through the paths to Parkdale and back. Riding without a jacket felt fantastic. "just what I need", I thought as I pedaled steadily in the sunshine. And then the string of path people began to emerge. Two city workers bombing along in a wide bodied quad taking up both lanes. Two mommies deep in discussion about the benefits of nursing over bottle feeding with their strollers taking up both lanes. A guy standing in one lane reading his phone while his dogs extend their leashes across the other. I finally got clear of the traffic at James Street and enjoyed the rest of the way out.

I didn't think the way back could be worse, wrong again. Kids at Churchill High use the pathway for their lunchtime picnics, often taking a lane and a half and sometimes both. Today was no exception. Then as I hit the Edward Street underpass I ran into about 100 kids returning to school from their track meet. I cleared the first herd and then decided to go to the street leaving them to wander both sides of the path.

I don't want more than about 12 inches of the right lane. I don't expect people to jump out of the way and I don't go past at full speed. I try to be considerate, but they are just trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment