Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Feel Like a King

Riding on the streets here is sweet. There's almost no traffic here in the 'burbs and most of the roads are double wide and so smooth. Bonnie is much more suited to the streets than the bike paths. She is great on the open road but a bit of a chore on some of the twisty tight spots you have to maneuver to ride the paths. I've been getting out for an hour every morning and exploring the various neighborhoods. I'm adding a new area or two every day to expand where I can go without checking the map. I always have my phone in my jersey pocket tracking me so I can refer to it if I get anywhere you far off line.
Calgary is dealing with the flooding superbly. From their very progressive mayor on down they are keeping people informed and you don't get the feeling that they are BS'ing at all. The people are helping each other out and little things like kids on street corners selling lemonade or grocery stores asking you to round up your purchase to the next dollar for flood relief are positive signs that they will recover just fine. One thing I haven't witnessed is any negativity or complaining. People are doing what they are asked to do.
One item that might have caused some controversy was the Stampede planning to go ahead. Talk of folks not having power for a few weeks but the party going on had some questioning. But the Stampede committee had its own treasure chest and volunteer base, so as the slogan for this year goes, "come hell or high water" the show will go on. You can get a t-shirt with the slogan in support of flood relief, about 10,000 sold in the first few hours.
After supper last night Sal and I made another trip to IKEA to pickup the things we want for the house. The bathroom cabinets are a very tight fit in the car but they are in there. We're both looking forward to getting it all in and the new look.
I'm really enjoying hanging out with Cullen, he is a super kid. He even had the t-shirt to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment