Monday, June 24, 2013

Prairie Dark

There's dark and then there's prairie dark. Add in a thunderstorm and you have my morning. It started more at night  than morning. I woke up to a google alert on the Trans-Canada at 2:30. I got another half hour of sleep before a thunderstorm woke me. I shaved and packed and as I finished it started to pour. I checked the radar map and saw that the worst would move north in a few minutes. So I read for 10 minutes and then loaded the car in light rain. I checked out at 3:30 Brandon time and headed straight for the highway. I was quickly passed by a transport going at least 110 so I let him go and flipped on the high beams. The rain was reflecting the light back and I was uncomfortable at anything over 80 as I couldn't see much except during the frequent flashes of lightning. Like driving in a tunnel of light.

Another transport appeared in the rear view mirror and I watched him go by in a massive spray. I accelerated and got on his tail just behind the wave of spray. I was to stay on his back bumper for 300 km. The night slowly began to peel back and I could make out a horizon faintly. The rain weakened and we continued speeding through the dark with the transport leading the way. About an hour later I came across an eerie scene. I could make out a dozen red lights on the north side of the road flashing in unison. The a slowly rotating blade appeared on the closest object, a wind  farm. More and more turbines continued to show themselves as I drove at least another 20 km with them in view. With the minimal ambient light they were somehow spooky. I found out later it was the Red Lily wind farm in Mooosomin.

At 6:24 Calgary time I texted Sal that I was at a Timmy's outside Regina having already covered nearly 400km. She was shocked. I got another google alert that the bridge at Medicine Hat might close even though the highest levels were not expected until Monday. With a speed limit of 110kmph I was doing 120 but kicked it up another 5. There were still people passing me moving away at least another 20kmph faster. I just hoped to get across in time. I crossed the crowded bridge at 11 Calgary time and then stopped for black coffee with a shot of espresso and some cookies for Cullen.

I arrived at the house 3 hours later and got a big hug from Sal. It's been a long 6 weeks. Cullen and I have hit it off. He ate from my fork and gave me a kiss good night so it was all worth it. Mike and I rode over to take a look at the Bow River from the bike path but it's mostly under water so we only got a brief peek. Mosquitoes were ravenous as I imagine they will be all summer with the water around here.  I'll post some pictures and video tomorrow but for now it's time to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment