Wednesday, September 18, 2013

And They Wonder Why?

Monday morning and I'm pedaling down Walsh St. at 7:15am, it's -1 and still dark. Not in a real hurry but moving along in cruise with Lisbeth and her big heavy tires. I come to a red light at Edward St., stop and catch another bike behind me in my peripheral vision. The light changes and I stand for about 5 strokes and carry on. I get to the 4-way stop at Brown and slow. The guy behind me on a Giant road bike goes around the far side of the road into the oncoming lane and circles around the hydro tower island, runs the stop sign. (I guess technically there is no stop sign ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD). I make my stop while shaking my head but I gotta ask.

I jump on the pedals and catch up to what should be a much faster bike but the guys knees are literally flailing all over the place and he's spinning a high gear, no way he can get away even on a road bike. I slide in behind his rear wheel and comment: "that was a real slick move". The old guy turns back and smiles at me. "And we wonder why they all think we are all a**holes", I continue. "They think that anyway", he says as he slows and tries to ride side by side. He asks, "so you stop for all the reds?" I answer "yes especially at this time of day".

I slow and let him go, letting him know "if you want to pass just 'on your left' and go". I stay with him to James street where he flies through the yellow light while making a left onto James. And they wonder why we can't get any respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment