Thursday, March 12, 2015

Bike Drool

I've been surfing various sites to check out the bikes of the recent National Handmade Bike Show. While many have been commenting how they would love to be able to afford to have a custom frame made for them, I find myself wishing for the opposite. I wish I could learn to create a bike from raw steel tubes by measuring, cutting, welding and filing steel. There are schools, even one at Fraser Valley BC, run by Paul Brodie who won an award for best city bike. The picture below is from Mark DiNucci's frame that won best lugged frame . They are required to be unpainted for judging. Below that is Brodie's winner. Follow the link from his name to see some of the process I wish I had $2800 for tuition and time to take in.

5 pieces beautifully shaped and welded together


No comments:

Post a Comment