Saturday, January 3, 2015

New Year New Phone

Like it or not a smartphone is something many of us can't function without. For me it's the center of the universe. Whether it be hockey email or website maintenance, music, quick photos, GPS tracking of bike rides, reminders, flashlight, shopping lists, news source, texting or on occasion even a phone call, my phone is with me constantly.

An important tool requires a current tool and my Samsung SIII was getting behind. I was sure I would go with the new version of Sal's HTC but after much reading I went with the LG G3. For $30 I was able to escape my tbaytel contract. The new phone was free with a 2 year sign up. I sold the Samsung for $150 on kijiji in about four hours so I came out ahead and with a major upgrade.

Spec wise everything is double. 32 gig storage, 3mb of memory, 2.5Ghz processor, 13mbpx camera with laser focusing that is 3 times faster than the new Samsung. Ok so it's .2 seconds instead of .6 but it focuses and snaps a picture instantly. And then there's the screen. Quad HD. Must apps don't even take full advantage yet. In just a slightly bigger overall package LG have managed to squeeze a 5.5" screen. It's still comfortable to hold but looks so huge. A larger capacity battery is a necessity with the screen but battery life has not been an issue.

While the Samsung was loaded with software that had to be left taking up precious digital real estate, LG has allowed removal of most built in apps. They leave android very close to stock which is a positive in my mind.

On the Samsung two features failed regularly. Bluetooth was sketchy. Very limited range meant when I turn my head to check traffic when crossing a street the music would often cut out. Both allow the addition of an sd card but the Samsung world kill the card and delete everything every now and again. So far the G3 is happy to have the 32 gig card aboard.

In the first four days of use I am more sure of my decision than before taking the plunge.


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment