Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in the Rear View Mirror

Favourites of 2014

Album, The Trews - Rise in the Wake
Book, Anthony Bourdain - Kitchen Confidential
Purchase, 1988 Marinoni Road Bike on Kijiji
Software, Rdio
Meals, at home - Sal's pasta and sauce, on the road - Kevin's salmon, restaurant - Fat Lorenzo's
Personal Event, another grandson arrives. Campbell
Sporting event, Hockey Olympic Gold x2

For 2015 I really want to get back to riding more seriously. I need to shed about 30 pounds before I can ride aggressively and have promised myself not to take a ride on Sophia (the Marinoni) until I've accomplished that. A century (100 miles in a day) would be a nice challenge and I think the unamed Trek would be the best bike to take that on. The fleet currently stands at six plus a seventh dedicated to indoors, so there should always be a bike or three ready to go. I still get email from Conquer Cancer and am tempted at times to sign up. The focus to be in shape was a great motivator but trying to raise the required donation and the long drive to Toronto while facing another trip west just isn't in the cards. I think the century will be my target.

Next season another team in Northwood would be great for scheduling but with every added player we risk taking on another nutty parent. Going back to six teams might be the smarter move but the league is becoming more well known and that trend should continue. There are times I wish I could walk away, times I wish I was on my own and times I am proud of what the league is and does for the kids. Something tells me I'd be lost without it.

Sadly this year may see the end of the Fort William Americans Little League. Don has had enough and I've only stayed involved to try and give him a hand. But dwindling numbers of players makes continuing seem pointless. There were a few parents that showed some interest at the end of last season but we haven't heard from them since late summer. People just don't realize that even seasonal sports take nearly a year round commitment to keep it all running. Our boys spent ten years in the league and I admit I would rather watch a good 12 year old baseball game than hockey any time. It was great but for now its time has come. We surrender to soccer, summer hockey, xbox and play station. A real shame.

Of course I'm not sure what the upcoming year will bring but I hope for the best and will deal with the rest.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment