Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jazzploration

The exploration of jazz is a long and confusing path. There are just too many forms and styles even within the work of a single artist. I searched online for the top 100 jazz albums and then started grabbing what I could at the library. Of Rolling Stones top 50 albums there are only 2 in the jazz category. Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' from 1959 is great. I only had to listen a few times to get into it, very cool.  John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' is also on the list but I just can't get that one. Sounds like a bowl of notes that someone is randomly throwing at the mic. A review that also listed it right up thir also called it the first of his 'unlistenable' albums. I don't understand the juxtaposition but unlistenable I agree with. Funny he plays sax on Kind of Cool and is much more listenable. I've always been ok with smooth jazz but it's like riding a bike on the sidewalk. Safe but won't get you very far. I guess I'll just keep exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment