Thursday, January 28, 2016

Now I've Gone and Done It

When I accepted the president's position at Northwood hockey in 1996 I had no idea. No idea what I had gotten myself into, no idea I'd be doing it 20 years later. After expanding from six to eight teams in the last two seasons I've put my foot in it again.

At a meeting this week the main topic of discussion was another expansion, to an older division. For much of the 20 years I was running things on my own for the most part. Putting my foot down two seasons ago gained the league an executive but the majority of that group is in the twilight of their kids time in the league. Not only that group but HNO and Thunder Bay Minor are pushing for someone to offer an alternative program for the next age group. Tuesday night we decided to pick up that ball and run with it.

As much as I tried to remind folks that I'm not intending to spend more time at a rink every weekend I'm not sure they got it. It's not that I have to police parents or coaches very much or very often. Just being there seems to do the trick. But if there's no one keeping an eye on things especially with older kids, things are bound to happen that don't keep with the league's philosophy. It doesn't have to be me but there has to be a league presence at games.

My first major undertaking in 1996 was to end the 'senior' program we had running and get Mike's age group into pee wee with the Elks, Neebing KC and the rest of the Lakehead South teams. It worked very well and Northwood teams always held their own until politics got in the way.

With enough planning and preparation, which is already underway, it should work well. Getting players won't be a problem, there's enough disgust with the current programs out there in both both and girls leagues. We have the funds to spare, ice has been promised and several coaches are ready to graduate with older players. If we do it, it will be with a buzzer for line changes exactly as we do for the younger group. It may turn some away but it solves the biggest complaint, unfair ice time.

No comments:

Post a Comment