Thursday, December 6, 2012

Wild Weekend

It was a wild weekend of hockey in Thunder Bay. A tournament each for the 9-10 year old and 11-12 age groups produced four kicking penalties along with the 'usual' bevy of checks from behind and a stick swinging 9 year old. Fun stuff. It took about three hours to go through the game sheets and process the suspensions.

Meanwhile Northwood had a usual weekend of games. A total of 3 minor penalties, no screaming, no injuries. And I got my first win behind the bench in about 10 years. I have to say it was too much fun.  I was dreading it all day but once I got back there and realized I knew the kids names I got into it. The team is currently in last place, not far out but we were up against the second place team. It was a tight one but something I told one of the older forwards worked to get us a goal and then he scored another on the same shift to put us up one. We held on for another period and snuck out with a 2-1 win. The kids are still hilarious. These two five year olds can't sit together because they are cousins and they will fight. Why do I have to cover for the defenseman, I'm the center. Next weekend it's back to the other side of the rink, none of the coaches took me up on my offer to swap jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment