Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Plans for Lael

With some timekeeping cash firmly in hand I placed an order for some parts to upgrade the bike I ride most often, Lael. I've broken several spokes on the rear wheel so first off I went back to the wheel that came on the bike when it was given to me. It still has 7 speeds but the range is wider, she's always felt a bit slow in the smaller gears and the original wheel will address both problems. Not a match to the front but hopefully the benefits will make up for any cosmetic loss.

Shifting will move from the downtube where I had McGyvered a $15 set of shifters to the frame. The new ones will go in the end of the handle bars and be a higher quality Shimano set. A new crankset and pedals will also be mounted.

Lastly the ever so noisy and b***h to adjust cantilever brakes will be removed in favour of Tektro mini-v brakes. I prefer the looks of the cantis but they are just too much trouble to keep quiet and really only go to the head of the class when mud is an issue. Since I'm not racing offroad (or anywhere else) my preference will be the simpler setup.

The other half of the plan is to get her back to Calgary and actually ride in Banff this summer. I'm trying to focus on getting her ready and not previewing all the trails and measuring distances. Lots of time for that later.

I got out for two decent rides on the weekend and even though my arm was uncomfortable on the bikes it felt much better after both rides. I have no idea why but I'm not complaining. 






No comments:

Post a Comment