Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Meet Sophia

After surprising Sal by not buying a heavily reduced Masi Gran Criterium in Vancouver I found a used gem in Calgary. 'Sophia' is a 1988 Marinoni hand made in Quebec by an Italian immigrant who apprenticed under some of the master Italian frame makers.
She has some scratches and a little rust but nothing that can't be worked out. Made from lugged Columbus steel tubing and equipped with a classic Shimano parts group she is a perfect fit for my height.
Maybe it's just a bike geek thing but being able to see the face of the man who welded and painted the frame creates a special feeling somehow. Apparently I can send the frame to Quebec for repainting and decals. A fresh coat of paint would have her looking like new.
I've taken a few short rides and made a few adjustments. Once the old school leather straps are gone from the pedals she'll be ready for some longer rides.

1 comment:

  1. I have exactly the same bike year colour groupset I upgraded to ultegra dual pivot brakes and 7 speed brifters gone almost 2000 miles commuting to work never a problem great bike

    ReplyDelete