Thursday, January 30, 2014

X+1

My biggest fear is not the cold or falling in a snowbank, it's possibly getting another bike to drool over. I have a couple of days of holidays remaining from last year and am cashing them in for a 4 day weekend. I arranged a loaner fat bike, a Salsa Mukluk 3 for tomorrow and will head to Centennial Park for a long ride around the groomed trails.

The BMC GF2 that I had my heart set on and have been saving for is a far cry from the Mukluk, in more ways than one. The GF is sleek and fast and weighs less than 20 pounds. The Mukluk is slow, bulky and tips the scale at 35 pounds. The end use of each could not be more different, smooth pavement and warm summer days or the mud and snow of winter. Bouncing around at a top speed of maybe 15kmph or flying at 50 plus. 100 psi in the tires or 10. Decisions decisions.

I don't have enough saved yet for either but...I guess time will tell. Never forget the formula for how many bikes one needs, X+1 (where X=how many you currently own).


No comments:

Post a Comment