Thursday, December 19, 2013

Feeling So Canadian

As I walked to work this morning it wasn't the coldest day I've faced this winter, only -15 plus a 40kmph wind but I felt so Canadian.

The slight snowfall we had yesterday was sculpted by the wind so that every bank or nugget had a comet's tail of drifted snow. Like some artist had been let loose on the city with an airbrush. Once I hit the bike path, yes I still call it the bike path even when I'm walking, only the full moon provided a trickle of light.

The wind was testing my defcon 3 level winter gear, finding every weak point that it could to try and chill me. Gord Downie and the Hip were playing over the headphones and as they always do, put my thinking in "I am Canadian" mode. Rush might be Canada's most successful band but their lyrics never reveal their homeland. The Hip's words often speak of life north of the 49th.

Sal offers to drive me to work most days while she is still huddled in the warmth of our bed. On days like today I wish I lived farther from work, the walk is just too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment