Monday, June 28, 2010

Simple?

Today's weigh in was another shocker, 242. My last day at Petrie's before the Quest to the West, as I'm dubbing it, and an adventurous one it was. I started out with a pink girls bike complete with tassels on the bars, trued the wheels and set up the brakes, cake. Next a simple flat repair, simple my a**. First of all there was lots of pressure in the tire which is odd if it's flat. I took the wheel out of the frame and the shear weight of it told me it would be full of anti-flat compound, a slimy goo that is supposed to seal small leaks. I pressed on the valve...nothing. So I got out my trusty knife and cut off the valve as I could not get at the tube with the pressure still in it. A sticky, runny liquid like beige latex paint oozed out. I got over a garbage can and let it run. It stopped and I poked it with the knife and a 1 inch high fountain formed as the contents drained. Then it blew. Good thing I was wearing my glasses. So the 'simple' 10 minute flat repair became a 45 minute clean up. Later on I put together a new bike, trued another wheel, boxed a bike for shipping, swept up and called it a day as things had ground to a halt.

I grabbed a bike rack for the Quest to the West as Mike and Mel have decided to make the trip to BC so Eowyn will have somewhere to ride. It hold 3 bikes so Sal and I will be able to take both of our bikes a little further from the house for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment