Saturday, June 11, 2011

Surprise, Free Saturday

To my great surprise I was the only one that showed up for an x-ray at 8:00am this morning. Sal decided to drive me and then go for a few groceries. I was in and out before she got back to the store. They took shots of my hips so I'm guessing that there is a possibility of problems there and maybe not just sciatica. I've had a pain in my hip maybe twice after 100km rides but nothing I can recall lately and definitely nothing lasting. I guess we'll see.

So with our new found free morning we got some errands done and made a run to Creekside for flowers and then some breakfast. We picked up a movie and stopped in at Petries. I'm going to help man the tent at the Bike Rodeo Sunday morning. Just quick tune-ups and advice, some of the bikes kids showed up with last year were new but in pretty sad shape. Bad enough to buy a bike off the floor at a department store but they really spend no time assembling them and problems start in a few weeks. It should be against the law to sell a bike to a kid with loose handlebars.

After Sal left for work I headed out with Lisbeth for an hour and a half and did 27km holding 20kmph again. I stopped about half way out to talk to one of our hockey coaches for 5 minutes and when I hit the road again my leg was not feeling like pedaling. I kept things slow for a bit, loosened up and carried on, not too many choices out Rosslyn Road. Calling that a road is an exaggeration by the way.

When I got home I watched the Swedish version of 'the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and even with subtitles it was pretty good. Lisbeth is quite the character.

I read through the comments regarding the new bike lanes on one of the local news websites. Apparently if you ride a bike you are a pinko that doesn't pay taxes. Comments from the cyclists weren't much better. I checked a similar story from Calgary and the online battle of words was just as bitter. Honestly what they are trying to do with bike lanes, or at least the reason they claim, getting more people out on bikes because they feel safer in the bike lanes is not going to happen. Novice cyclists are not going to ride on the street, with the lanes or without. It seems the more emphasis put on cyclists and bike lanes the more resentment there is from drivers. When the streets are in ruin it is understandable that people want to see them fixed before money is put into anything for a bike. What we really need is a north south way to get around. The bike lanes don't address it and without widening a major artery bike lanes won't be a solution. There is a way with one hurdle. You can get from Westfort to Port Arthur by going up Ford ane then connecting with the bike paths . The problem is getting across Arthur Street. A simple set of pedestrian/cyclist controlled lights at Ford and Arthur would fix it but the city is afraid. They work elsewhere I can't see why TBay is any different. Try getting from the south side of town to the north at 5pm on a bike, not easy or safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment