Monday, June 13, 2011

Aleve, No Thanks I'll Walk It Off

I woke up Sunday morning and my right leg from cheek to calf was on fire as soon as I moved to get up. I limped downstairs for ibuprofin and ice. The ice took the edge off but I had to stand to put the pain at bay. As it was 6:30 I really just wanted to sleep a bit longer. The rest of the beautiful day was spent in various uncomfortable positions either standing or lying on the couch, sitting is not an option. I thought a day of just relaxing would repay my leg for the ride Saturday.

That thought was proven wrong at 3:15 this morning as I woke to more of the same. Down I went for ice and this time and definitely the last time for an Aleve. I lay on the couch just hoping for a bit more sleep. I woke again at 4:30, the ice no longer cold enough to be effective and the Aleve only having effect on my stomach. I walked up and down the hallway for a bit and slowly trudged the pain away. Then my stomach started acting up and I was forced to take a seat.

Three more trips to the bathroom, an hour standing through Soprano repeats and it was time to go to work. I grunted as I put on socks but never bothered tempting the fates by trying to tie my boots. Walking might be the least painful mode but it was too late for that so Lisbeth was pushed up the stairs and I rode gingerly, standing about half the time until my leg got loose. Other than being tired I was fine. The day went ok until about 10:30 when I looked over at Lisbeth and saw the rear tire was totally flat. At lunch I borrowed a car and zipped home for a quick bite, a tube and my pump. I had the tire off and the new tube in and inflated in about 10 minutes, my bike shop training coming in handy. I made it through the rest of the day and rode home, Ginko was here and I watched him play Angry Birds on the Xoom until the game came on. Nice try Canucks but it's better to win at home anyway.

I can't judge another's pain but I can't believe Mom has been enduring that kind of pain for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment