Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Epic Thoughts, Unlikely Reality

I've been reading a few books on adventure cycling. Jill Homers account of her first Iditarod, the 350 mile race in Alaska in February is one I was familiar with from her blog. Now I'm on to the story of an Englishman who had never ridden a mountain bike that enters the Tour Divide, a 2700 mile ride from Banff to New Mexico. Jill holds the womans record in that one and her book on the trip will follow. They make me want to do something epic. Then today I received email from conquer cancer. It was easy to forget about sore legs, numb hands and all the old reasons why I haven't entered for a few years. It was my epic but somehow it never felt that big. They do have a 200 mile option now, hmmmm.

I rode over to watch Ginkos soccer game and any thought of 100 mile rides was soon washed away, for now anyway. I did accomplish one thing on the ride. I proved that it is possible to trip the sensor in the road and get a green light. Just lower your steel frame to the top of the diamond and instant action. I used it at my least favorite corner that has no way for a cyclist to get a green. No pedestrian button, no timing. If a car doesn't come along you just have to run the red or wait. Not anymore.

The back and leg were better this morning, not prefect but better for the first time in quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment