Monday, March 16, 2015

Time for Skinny Tires

Poking around on a singlespeed setup for winter's snow and ice is better than walking, barely. I started riding to work and back last week and doing laps at the golf course at lunch, but with a maximum speed of about 15kmph the singlespeed can be...yawn...a bit on the boring side.

All week long I was thinking of getting out on something a little more fun. Saturday the forecast called for a high of 6 but the rain/hail/snow squall that hit briefly Friday evening took nearly half a day to melt. I decided to try going for a ride with some skinny tires and gears at about 2:30. That felt very strange for the first 15 minutes. I went out again Sunday for a break from working on Sophia, but the sun never appeared and it was cool and windy. It's early in the year but the laps and kms are slowly accumulating.

I  made my first attempt at gumbo for Saturday's supper. I stopped in the parking lot of the Super Store, read a recipe that I never ended up following, and headed in for ingredients. I took everything home to cut up and then started assembling it all in the slow cooker. As I poured in the litre of chicken stock it appeared that I would need another, but I improvised and used some Clamato which may have been the secret. That and 6 hours in the cooker. I laid off the heavy heat so that Sal would try it, but I have to say it was really tasty and we both enjoyed it. Topped off with a salad and quick bruschetta appetizer, it was one of  my better efforts in the kitchen.

Marinoni Monday for this week is a shot of Giuesspe training for the Hour Record attempt. I'd love to find one of those jerseys.




No comments:

Post a Comment