Saturday, May 18, 2013

Choices: Veterinary Surgery or Bike Shop?

Something about the Farmer's Market always makes me feel there is hope for Thunder Bay. I don't know if it is the sense of community or just seeing people gather and support local business. But I always feel good when I'm there. There was live music, people wandering around shopping, eating breakfast and just having a good time.
This morning I covered the Petries booth and had more fun in five hours than I have in a week at my real job. Most of the people that stroll through have no desire to buy a bike but the models that Tom has selected are colorful and beg for people to stop and take a look. There is plenty of sticker shock, but then a lot are surprised at the color schemes and retro styles. The older crowd are taken back to bikes of their youth. Kids just want to ring the bells. An older English gentleman was checking out a three speed internal hub and was searching for the name of the old system that has been around for years. When I said Sturmey Archer, he was shocked that I knew what he was trying to recall. Three separate people wanted a price for Molly, my 74 Raleigh single speed which I had parked on a rack with the newer models. Sorry that one's not for sale, it's my ride home. I love showing people bikes and talking about them....hmmmm? I can usually fix most straight forward mechanical problems....hmmmmm? Have to have a long talk with Tom.
The one thing I was most disappointed with when Sal left for Calgary was that the two noisy budgie birds were still in a cage in the back room I use as an office. She knew it and agreed to selling them if I could. Lots of luck, maybe the cage but the birds would be tough. So with everything going on with the bathroom I just let it be. Of course one of them decides to die during week one. Today I went into the office and the other one is hanging upside down from a little perch with an Asian inspired tent like covering. I took a close look and the damn thing was caught like a fish in a gill net. It was wrapped around his neck and under one wing. So I grabbed a pair of scissors and began what I call an emergency Asian hideout ectomy. It took 10 snips, while trying not to dismember a wing or leg,  to free the stupid thing. I had to hold the cage with one hand in an attempt to keep him in the cage which they have never left. I finally gave up and freed him with both hands at which point he bit me and took off. I got him back in the cage and then he seemed to calm down and was looking at me as if to say thanks. Stupid yellow bird. Wish I could have just walked away and let stupidity run it's course.
When I finished at the market I went over to the shop to pick up the Trek. I haven't got a name for her yet but I think she looks pretty good for what I paid. Farz had her all tuned up with new shifters, red bar tape and a matching red bottle holder that I had picked. The picture below serves three purposes, gives Sal a look at her tulips, gives you a look at the bike and reminds me to cut the grass whenever it stops raining. Hopefully I won't like riding the bike too much so I can just leave her in Calgary as planned.
I have to warn anybody riding an orange bike with an orange jacket. My involvement with the city's "you know me campaign" is out there now and although it is designed to make it safer for cyclists, there are probably some hockey coaches that will run you off the road if you're wearing orange. Being the guy that signs all the suspension notices for a season doesn't tend to add new friends. I'm going to wear green just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment